Getting your roof inspected is important because it can detect potential problems before they cause more damage to your home. Whether or not you’re currently in the home buying process, you can benefit from a roof inspection. A professional roof inspection done by a trusted home inspector like ProTech Home and Property Inspections, Inc. can reveal faults in the roof layout and potentially prevent future moisture damage from occurring. Today, we’re discussing what you can expect from a roof inspection.
How Will My Roof Be Inspected?
There are several ways to inspect a roof, depending on the contractor, the weather, and the type of roof your home has. Here are the most common:
- Visual Inspection: Most home inspectors will simply climb up onto the roof and visually assess it, then climb into the attic and look for signs of damage there.
- Infrared Inspection: With this type of roof inspection, the inspector will climb onto the roof and visually inspect, but they also will also use a handheld infrared scanner that will show changes in temperature. These temperature changes can indicate areas of damage, as they signify that heat is escaping from the roof.
- Drone Inspection: Finally, some inspectors use drones for hard-to-reach spaces, because they can get a close-up of the area without putting themselves in danger.
What Is the Inspector Looking For?
No matter which method your inspector chooses to use, they all will be looking for the same signs of damage.
- Water Damage: Water damage can happen when water isn’t draining properly due to clogged gutters, improperly installed or damaged flashing, or missing shingles.
- Mold: Mold growth around the chimney or on the attic insulation are signs of excessive water damage. Your inspector should pay special attention to these areas as mold can be a serious problem.
- Shingle Deterioration: Roof inspectors will look for any missing or loose shingles, as well as rotting or algae growth on the shingles.
- Clogged Gutters: Finally, if your gutters are filled with shingle granules, your shingles are likely being worn away. The granules are intended to give your shingles added weight and protect them from ultraviolet rays, so you don’t want to find them in your gutters.
Are you ready to have your roof professionally inspected? Trust Phil and the entire ProTech team to get it done the right way. We’re located in Buford, GA, and we pride ourselves on outstanding customer service and extensive resources, to give our customers peace of mind. Contact us today at (470) 592-8828 for a free estimate, or schedule an inspection online.